Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 11:24:21 -0300 (EST)
From:      Rodrigo Campos <rodrigo@MATRIX.COM.BR>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.1.1 wont boot with IBM KATANA hard disk

Several days ago I posted a note on the freebsd-questions mailling list
about problems with 4.1.1-* and the Adaptec AIC 7899 SCSI
Controller. After some tests I discovered that the problem is not related
to the SCSI controller, but with the hard disk.

I'll try to describe the whole scenario so it may be easier to understand
the problem.

I installed the system from the FreeBSD 4.0 CD (March 2000) and it works
just great, after a cvsup/make world/kernel building, the kernel hangs up
during SCSI devices recognition, the message follows:

(probe1:ahc0:0:0:1): parity error detected in DT Data-in
phase. SEQADDR(0X173) SCSIRATE (0X93) Unexpected DT Data Phase

Any ideas ? All I can say is that 4.0 works with the same hardware
configuration, and 4.1.1 doesn't.

Best Regards,

--
Rodrigo Albani de Campos