Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 15:06:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Error in vm_fault change

On Fri, 22 Jan 1999, Russell L. Carter wrote:

> A single parameter like "priority" won't do it.  Application
> domains need scheduling partitions too.  And there is no "GOD" algorithm
> that fits all.  I would suggest that if the scheduler needs to be reworked,
> to fit at a minimum the kinds of work John lists, that people
> think about how to provide a framework to plug in various scheduling
> (process|memory) implementations.  uhhhh, ye olde "strategy pattern".

In Fall, 1997 someone here at CMU stuck a lottery algorithm scheduler into
FreeBSD, and wrote a paper describing where they had to make changes to
FreeBSD to allow for more pluggable schedulers.  They didn't attempt to
handle either real-time issues (and hence preemption for in-kernel
processes) or SMP, but it might be a useful read.  I'll see if I can dig
up a reference.  Allowing a pluggable scheduler via a kernel module would
be pretty cool.

I.e., today it's a realtime machine, tomorrow it's a single-user
workstation, the next day a heavily loaded timesharing machine with CPU
time partitioning.

  Robert N Watson

PGP key fingerprint: 03 01 DD 8E 15 67 48 73  25 6D 10 FC EC 68 C1 1C

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
SafePort Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/