Date:      Sun, 24 Dec 1995 17:46:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      Craig Shrimpton <craigs@venus.os.com>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unpleasant scrolling behaviour on 2.1.0 (fwd)

On Sun, 24 Dec 1995, Sean Kelly wrote:

> I'm afraid I still don't get it.  What is color scrolling?  What is
> black+white scrolling?  What's the difference?

By color I mean the directory entries are in color.  Like *.gz files are
red, symlinks are cyan, directories are blue and device files are yellow
etc. etc.

> Outside of telnet, is the FreeBSD box still jumpy?  Or is it just
> telnet where you see jumpy scrolling?  In other words, does the fact
> that you're telnet'ing have anything to do with the scrolling?

The "poor screen performance" is only when the FreeBSD box is the
originator of the telnet session.  Telnets or rlogins to the FreeBSD box are
fine.  Also, local usage is fine.  The best way to describe the problem
is when I do a dir (ls -aFl) on a big directory it will scroll a few
lines then stop, scroll a few more, stop, scroll a few more, stop, etc.
It really annoys me.  It's like calling a BBS at 14,400 but I'm on 10Mbs
ethernet.

BTW: It's not the network because telnet localhost does the same thing!

-Craig