Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2006 12:51:26 -0700
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        matt@genesi-usa.com
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.0 on Pegasos/ODW

>>  Is there a serial port on the Pegasos ?
>
> Yep. Standard PC serial UART, at the standard PC IO addresses.

  It should be possible to get the uart(4) driver to use this but it
will take some work.

> Going to do a boot -v now.
>
> Nope, no difference. kernel loaded at 0x13078 or so, then ddb
> messages, then Cpppppppppppppppp. No other messages.
>
> As for the open firmware console, not sure if it works or not. We are
> using a beta firmware for testing which has framebuffer support and
> it would definitely be nice to support that, but if not just plain
> text to a plain text console is okay (writing to the openfirmware
> stdout equivalent)

  The framebuffer console makes some assumptions:

  - the framebuffer is linear
  - it is set up by the firmware with a 1:1 virt-phys mapping so it can
be BAT-mapped later
  - the depth must be 8 or 32 (16 not supported)
  - it can be located in the openfirmware tree with:

         chosen = OF_finddevice("/chosen");
         OF_getprop(chosen, "stdout", &stdout, sizeof(stdout));
         node = OF_instance_to_package(stdout);
         OF_getprop(node, "device_type", type, sizeof(type));
         if (strcmp(type, "display") != 0)
                 return (0);

    ... and the node must have height, width, linebytes and address
properties.

later,

Peter.