Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 01:48:38 -0400
From:      Dutch Collins <dutch@charm.net>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        "Kave p.Ram" <hotkaveh@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: customize the behaviour of the boot-loader

Mark Ovens wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 25, 1999 at 09:50:55PM +0000, Kave p.Ram wrote:
> > Hi !
> > How do I customize the behaviour of the boot-loader ?
> > I've read the man page for :
> > boot(8)      - system bootstrapping procedures
> >
> > and what I was looking for was how to make console 80x50 instead of default
> > 80x25 or something .
> > for example in linux if one uses lilo , he could edit the /etc/lilo.conf and
> > add vga=extended to that file .
> > when I read the boot(8) for FreeBSD it didn't mention anything about this
> > feature.
> > the man file mentioned "/boot.config" which I believe is the appropriate
> > file to lilo.conf  .
> >

> Take a look at the vidcontrol(1) manpage. When you pick the settings
> you want add then to the ``allscreens'' line in /etc/rc.conf.
>
> I set mine to 80x30. This is from my /etc/rc.conf:
>
> font8x8="iso-8x8"
> font8x14="iso-8x14"
> font8x16="iso-thin-8x16"
> allscreens_flags="-m on VGA_80x30"
>
> The ``-m on'' turns the console mouse on. To use 80x50 you'll need
> to set ``font8x8'' (it's set to ``NO'' in /etc/defaults/rc.conf)
> to what ever charset you use (files are in /usr/share/syscons/fonts).
>
> HTH
>
> > first : is it the file to edit for customizing such features ?
> > if not , which file should be edited for making such features permanent
> > instead of doing them manually each time when booting.
> >
> > Thanx for any suggestion :-)

You answered a detail I have been working on, thanks. I searched for
a description of 'allscreens_flags= <string>' and got nothing. Used,
'man -k <all sorts of strings>. Is it a secret code? Anyway, I guess
I will tinker with it in order to get some color text that is readable
for logins.

I ran into this when I generated a new kernel; warning pseudo-device log
not valid, or something like that, I did not take notes just commented it
out. Ever see that when 'make' on FreeBSD 3.2R-GENERIC. The new kernel is
working fine - I cannot figure out why the process complained.

-dutch
----