Date:      Sun, 13 May 2001 17:04:24 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Patrick Klee <drwho@futureks.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trying DESPEATELY to instal some kind of FreeBSD

On Saturday, 12 May 2001 at 19:13:01 -0600, Patrick Klee wrote:
> Hi, Here's the situation:
>
>     I have a copy of FreeBSD 3.2 on a 4 CD set from Walnut Creek and a 4.2
> CD from a friend.  The 4.2 CD is not working, and locks up in the middle of
> an install.  I went back to 3.2 and it works great.  I want to upgrade, but
> I don't know how to get the modem to work.  I have a choice of COM5 and my
> modem is on COM2.  No matter where I put it it is ALWAYS on COM2.

FreeBSD doesn't use those terms.  What does *it* tell you?  Run the
dmesg program and look for lines mentioning sio0, sio1, etc.  Send
them in reply to this list and we'll see what's going on.

> Next, if I can figure out how to tell BSD 3.2 to find my US Robotics
> 56k modem.  Then I need to know what tools ar availible to upgrade
> to 4.3 maybe even an unstable version if I am feeling ballsy.

4.3 is stable.  The easiest way to install it is to get the CD, or if
that's too much money, download the ISO.  There are other ways, but
they're more complicated.

> I am at wits end, if someone could recommend an IRC server and
> channel for help with FreeBSD, I would appriciate that as well.

Well, there's #FreeBSD on efnet, but I don't think I can recommend it.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.