Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2000 09:49:04 -0500
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
Cc:        FreeBSD mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Dell C600/FreeBSD4.2-rel

Danny Braniss stated:
: In message <20001205141536.A24280@stat.Duke.EDU>you write:
: }Danny-
: }
: }Does this laptop have a winmodem on it?  Or a pci IrDA device
: }or something that FreeBSD doesn't speak to but which is using
: }irq 3 ... I suspect the problem is that pccardd is assigning
: }irq 3 to the nic and it is freaking out the system.
: sorry, no winmodem.

Sorry!?  That is a good thing.  I thought Dell pretty much stuck 'em
in everything.

: }Try using a more safe choice .. say 10.  Try creating
: }/etc/pccard.conf which simply consists of the line
: }
: }irq 10
: }
: }This will tell it to only try irq 10 with pccards by overriding
: }the irq line /etc/defaults/pccard.conf
:
: which is the 'prefered' solution?
: changing the configuration
: 	device     pcic0 at isa? irq 0  ...
: 	device     pcic0 at isa? irq 10 ...
: (are there cards that behave correctly with irq 0?)
:
: or the
: 	/etc/pccard.conf
:
: anyways, thanks, i now have the ethernet working - now to get the video ...

Which ever one works for you :)  Seriously, they are different
things though.

Adding irq 10 to /etc/pccard.conf forces ep0 to attach using irq 10.

Putting irq 10 in the pcic line of the kernel has the pccard bus/bridge
interrupting on irq 10, and you have to use a different (and free) irq
for the NIC.

HTH,

Sean O'Connell                                       sean@stat.Duke.EDU