Date:      Thu, 19 Nov 1998 14:00:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Tetsuji Rai <caq23050@pop17.odn.ne.jp>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: network connection

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Tetsuji Rai wrote:

> I'm thinking of connecting 2 computers by ether net (10BASE2)., one of which
> is connected to Internet by PPP.  This is mentioned in the handbook, but I
> cannot get it to work.  Like following
> [local2] <-ether-> [local1]  <-ppp-> [ISP]
>
>   First of all, 2 computers cannot be connected.  On local1,
> ifconfig ep0 inet 10.0.0.1 link1    (ep0 means 3c509, link1 specifies BNC)
> is executed.  On local2
> ifconfig ep0 inet 10.0.0.2 link2
> is executed.  But these two machines are not connected (ie. even ping
> doesn't work)
> Furthermore, after executing
> route add default 10.0.0.1
> on local2, some programs like xterm doesn't run properly.
>   Any help I can get would be appreciated.

First of all, I'd suggest going into the 3c509 DOS configuration program
and forcing the media type to coax.  It can't be reliably detected.

Secondly, make sure each end is terminated, i.e. don't plug the cable
straight into both ends -- use a T and a terminating resistor cap on each
end.

Doug White