Date:      Fri, 26 Jun 1998 13:44:07 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Andrew Short <Ashort@concentric.net>, William English <english1@tir.com>
Subject:   "Device not configured" (was: (no subject))

On Thursday, 25 June 1998 at 22:51:28 -0500, Andrew Short wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, William English wrote:
>
>> Error OpenModem failed /dev/cuaa1: Device Not Configured
>
> FreeBSD doesn't have a device that you are trying to use.  (/dev/cuaa1).

You've got to be careful with statements like this: it's somewhat
ambiguous.

> Check to see if you have a dev /dev/cuaa1 (translates to the traditional
> com2).  If your modem is on /dev/cuaa0 (com1) like mine, then you need a
> set device /dev/cuaa0 in ppp.  If your modem IS on /dev/cuaa1, then do
> this:
>
> cd /dev
> sh MAKEDEV cuaa1
>
> And THEN check to see if there is a /dev/cuaa1.

I deleted the original message unread because it didn't contain a
subject.  If /dev/cuaa1 is missing, you'll get the message "No such
file or directory" (ENOENT, error number 1).  If, however, the node
/dev/cuaa1 is present, but the kernel doesn't have support for it, you
get error ENXIO (6, Device not configured).  In this case, ./MAKEDEV
won't help.  It's unusual to find a kernel without serial support,
however.

Greg