Date:      Sat, 07 Jun 1997 00:23:19 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        stefan@exis.net, pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co, jdd@vbc.net, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Exchange vs. Notes

>Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com stands accused of saying:
>> OK, so enough for the Exchange commercial.  Suffice it to say that
>> even if you don't take me seriously as saying it is _the_ most
>> powerful messaging platform on the planet, it truly is _one_of_ the
>> most powerful.

>So where can we grab the source from to validate your claims, check
>for security holes, or make variances between what you think we want
>and we want for ourselves?

Uh yeah, right.  Look, I'm all for the free Unix thing myself, but
there really is a market for commercial software and enterprise level
support.  Try to get the source code to Digital Unix.  Or HP/UX. :-)

>FWIW, we microwaved a whole set of MS BO disks last night, to christen
>the new microwave in a friend's office.  He's planning on putting them
>in the same drawer as the Asia-Pacific NT developers' conference Tshirt
>that he wore while stripping and rebuilding the engine in his car
>this summer.
>
>Until MS are willing to play the right game, small ISVs like us are
>just going to keep ignoring them.  I suspect that they really don't
>care, but I certainly feel no need to be polite about them in
>return. 8)

Hey, believe it or not, I'm with you.  Currently, FreeBSD and/or
NetBSD are about the best OS' available for ISPs.  They have so many
advantages for that particular market.

On the other hand, the places where Exchange shines, are medium sized
companies to mega corporations, where commercial support is not only
preferred, but often required.

And don't believe MS is going to ignore the ISP market forever.  On
the other hand, what they develop will most likely be significantly
cheaper than commercial Unix solutions, but will still not be free.

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net