Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 2003 05:01:32 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Tommy Forrest - KE4PYM <tforrest@shellworld.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Another Sendmail question

On 2003-03-05 21:06, Tommy Forrest - KE4PYM <tforrest@shellworld.net> wrote:
AAA> One more sendmail question.  After installing the ports version and
> telnetting to my local host on port 25 I get the following greeting:
>
> 220 myhost.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.8/8.11.1; Wed, 5 Mar 2003 21:03:12
> -0500 (EST)
>
> Should 8.11.1 be showing up?

Yes.  It means you haven't updated your sendmail.cf file since 8.11.1
was out.  The first version number is the version of the Sendmail
executable.  The second version number is the version of the Sendmail
.m4 files that was used to create your current sendmail.cf file.

It's generally a good idea to update your sendmail.cf file too
whenever you change versions.  It's not always mandatory, but just to
be on the safe side, do it now.  First make sure to take a backup copy
of /etc/mail/*.cf, just in case the update doesn't work out quite
right for you.  There's no reason why it should fail but anyway.

    # cd /etc/mail
    # tar cf - *.cf | gzip -9c - > oldcf.tar.gz

Then regenerate all the *.cf files:

    # make cf

Install them as sendmail.cf and submit.cf:

    # make install

Restart sendmail:

    # make restart

and you should be set to go.

: If anything seems to fail for you after this remake of the *.cf
: files, just enter /etc/mail and restore from the backup copy:
:
:       # cd /etc/mail
:       # zcat oldcf.tar.gz | tar xf -