Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 10:29:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
To:        zhihuizhang <bf20761@binghamton.edu>
Cc:        hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Page fault on a read-only apge

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, zhihuizhang wrote:
> Hi, I read in the mailing list archive something like "Also the VM tends
> to not consult the underlying object for a number of cases, the worst
> one being that if a write fault occurs on a read-only page, the VM will
> tend to add write access without asking the VFS if that is ok".

That sounds like something I might have written. It's certainly a problem
I've had. A quick scan of current sources for 3.0 indicates it is still
broken.

The problem: you read-fault on a page and it is brought in by the vfs.
But, the vfs wishes to know if you ever write fault on a page so it can
support cache coherency (a la MNFS). On SunOS and Solaris, the vfs is
called when a write-fault happens on a read-only page. On FreeBSD and
Linux and AIX and Irix and ... it doesn't happen correctly. I'm not quite
sure about NetBSD.

ron