Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2001 00:06:09 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Tim Singletary <tsingle@vetinsite.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: `cp -Rp' vs `pax -r -w'; setting up multiple jails

Tim Singletary <tsingle@vetinsite.com> types:
>  > Both tar and cpio handle hard links correctly. If you plan to keep a
>
> cpio, tar, and pax handle hard links correctly, but they don't set
> the schg flag (man 1 chflags).  cp sets the schg flag but doesn't
> handle hard links.  I was looking for something that does both.

Arrgh, I missed the problem with the second one. Sorry about that.

In this case, the one working solution I know of would be to create
the template on a file-backed vn disk, dump that, then restore it to
create new versions of the template. You might also give the cpdup
port a look, as Matt tends to get such details right. If you do,
please let me know how it works.

> I'm not sure if the schg flag is important in jails.  Will I lose
> anything if it isn't set?

schg basically lets you say "You can't change this file without a
reboot" by setting securelevel appropriately. It provides a way to let
people have root access in the jail and still not be able to write on
files you don't want them to change. If you need that, then yes, you
need schg.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.