Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 14:39:15 +0930
From:      "Stavros Patiniotis" <stavros@staff.esc.net.au>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Replacing flat file unix authentication

Hello,

My apologies if you have received multiple copies of this, I have had a
problem with subscription to these lists recently.

I am investigating methods in which to replace the unix password file system
for authentication and account verification with a database like mySQL.
Can anyone offer any recommendations as to a way to do this, or
links/information to web pages.

PAM doesn't see to cut it!  AFAIK (& I have tested) applications such as
qpopper still check the unix db for account existence, before proceeding to
use PAM and mySQL to verify the password.

Thanks in advance...

Stavros Patiniotis