Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 12:09:10 -0800
From:      "Stephen Beitzel" <sbeitzel@pobox.com>
To:        "Kris Kennaway" <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, <doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Missing makefiles in ports

[...]

> > Go to http://www.freebsd.org/ports/ and download an upgrade kit.
>
> This is bad advice which people keep handing out.
>
> There are two error messages which people commonly get from ports:
>
> Your port uses an old layout:
> 	- there are out of date files in the port directory
> 	- If you are updating using cvs, use the '-D' flag to tell it to
> 	  remove old empty directories
> 	- If you are updating with cvsup, see the cvsup FAQ on
>       www.polstra.com Q11, 12, 13.

I just encountered another situation in which this message appears:
     - the partition which houses your ports tree doesn't have enough space

The solution for me was to move /usr/ports over to another partition with
lots of space and then create a symbolic link to the new location (since
many, if not all, makefiles refer to /usr/ports).

I hope this helps someone!

Stephen Beitzel