Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2000 11:10:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@altavista.net>, bwoods2@uswest.net, Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>, Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net>
Subject:   Re: kdelibs port broken?

On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> On 27-Feb-00 Chuck Robey wrote:
> > fine example, tho.  We break the location of the config files that all
> > tcl
> > packages rely upon to build, for the purpose of allowing folks to run
> > multiple versions simultaneously.  Tcl isn't the only one like that,
> > either.  Anyone who wants to be able to build other tcl software that
> > isn't derived from a port would be well advised to avoid using our port.
>
> This is done because none of those programs/libs developed a system on
> their own which allowed multiple versions to be on the same machine OR
> made SURE that they where backward compatible..
>
> Its not the ports collection thats at fault, the people who did it this
> way are cleaning up the mess made by other coders.
>
> This happens for tcl, gtk, qt.. There are quite a number. (at least 3! ;)

Can I ask you, why could this not have been done through a system of
symlinks and a little batch-file to switch them?

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.