Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 1999 12:42:02 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad@shub-internet.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Subject:   Re: Does vinum actually currently build under 3.2-STABLE?

At 8:38 AM +0930 1999/7/8, Greg Lehey wrote:

> Vinum builds under 3.2-STABLE.  I don't know why you're trying to use
> the wrong version.  Yes, I once said that, at that moment, the
> -CURRENT version would build under -STABLE.  That was quite some time
> ago, and it no longer applies.

	I apologize if I have offended you.  I had not heard that vinum
4.0-CURRENT was no longer the version that I should be attempting to
apply to FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE.

	The last time I had tried to do anything with vinum, you had
recommended that I grab your -CURRENT and start over from there, and
when I started working with vinum again, I tried to largely pick up
where I left off before.

	I did carefully check the source trees to ensure that what you
had did actually appear to be later code before I manually installed
it (mv'ing each original affected file or directory to <name>.orig,
before copying your "new" code into place).

	It would help me (if no one else) if the documentation you had on
your web site would be kept a bit more up-to-date as to which
versions are suitable for use with which versions of FreeBSD, and if
we're supposed to be using the version that ships with the package,
says that too.

	Speaking only for myself, I'm not subscribed to all of the
freebsd- mailing lists (heck, I'm not subscribed to any of them), and
although I do active searching of the archives of the mailing lists
before I post any questions, my searches might not be fully
sufficient to dig up all the relevant information, or the archives
might not yet have caught up to the absolute last-second state of the
moment.

> I did?  Which one?

	I have not yet been able to locate the exact name of the file,
but the most relevant messages of yours that I've found so far in the
archives of the -current mailing list are at
<http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=431564+0+archive/1999/fr
eebsd-current/19990704.freebsd-current> and
<http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=532152+0+archive/1999/fr
eebsd-current/19990704.freebsd-current>.  Note that they are dated
only five days ago.

> It's supposed to build out of the box.  Vinum is included in -STABLE.
> The last modification was 11 May (sys/dev/vinum/vinumparser.c).

	The problem turned out to be that I had not managed to fully
restore all the .orig files and directories I had manually mv'ed.
Once I restored the one problem directory that had remained
(/usr/src/sys/dev/vinum, as I recall), the build went cleanly.

	I'm now doing further benchmarks with rawio against a bare IBM
UltraStar 9LZX 10KRPM drive connected through an Adaptec 3950U2, to
add to the previous benchmarks I had done (and reported to you) on
the DPT SmartRAID IV w/ 64MB cache and 128KB stripe size across four
9LZX drives.

	Once this test is complete, I'll do another test with a vinum one
drive concat device on the same disk (to see what overhead vinum
adds), then a two-way, three-way, and four-way stripe with identical
disks.  Since this is a pretty honkin' machine (PIII@450Mhz w/ 1GB
RAM), it will be interesting to compare the performance of the older
DPT SmartRAID IV card against vinum.

	I'll then go in and throw bonnie and perhaps some other tools at
the 4-way striped disk arrays (both vinum and SmartRAID IV) and see
what kind of difference 1GB of buffer cache can make.  ;-)

--
Brad Knowles <brad@shub-internet.org> <http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/>;
     <http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE38CCEF1>;

Your mouse has moved.   Windows NT must be restarted for the change to
take effect.   Reboot now?  [ OK ]