Date:      Fri, 17 May 2002 13:16:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "C J Michaels" <cjm2@earthling.net>
To:        <Danny.Carroll@mail.ing.nl>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IPsec / KAME newbie wants to play VPN admin.

Danny said:
> Hello,
>
> I am looking at testing IPsec in both tunneling mode (for a VPN) and
> transport mode.

I'm currently using tunneling (ESP) mode myself.

> I thought it was about time I got my head around this.
>
> To make matters a little more complicated my VPN partner is a Linux man
> (can only make it more interesting right? ;-)

That's not the word I would use, but sure.  ;)

> Anyway, before I dive into it too deeply there are a few basic
> questions I have about it all.
>
> I am only interested in IPv4 at the moment.

Same here.

> To use IPsec with FreeBSD does that mean I'll be using the KAME
> implementation?

Yes, but it's built into FreeBSD (w/ a kernel recompile), the only
additional piece of software you'll want to install is racoon.  Which can
be found in the ports.
> Is it easy to get a Linux FreeS/WAN and FreeBSD VPN to work.

No.  We had decided to setup a WAN via IPSEC.  One of the boxes, run by a
friend of mine, is a linux box.  It was anything but easy.  Just make sure
racoon is set to a high debug level and you keep a keen eye on the log.
Once we finally tweaked out configs enough to actually have a working
IPSec tunnel, it would frequently go down and require a manual restart on
his (the linux side's) part.  When it was up, it worked _very_ well.
Unfortunately, my friend's box was compromised not too long ago.  He blew
away the OS and installed a different linux distro.  He hasn't done the
work to bring his network back into the wan yet.  So it's no longer up.
Getting the FreeBSD boxes to work together was a piece of cake.

> Since I do not want to break my firewall, will it work through a natd
> gateway?  What about a natd gateway and a linux ?? nat gateway?

Are the *nix boxes connecting to the WAN also the natd gateways, or are
they behind said gateways?  If they are behind a nat gateway, I do not
believe IPSec will work, as the packets are tampered with (rewritten) by
natd.
If they are operating AS the gateways, I would simply put a couple rules
into your firewall config (before the divert) to pass ESP and AH traffic
unmolested.
> Am I right in assuming that racoon simply sets up the key's /
> authtication but the kernel via gif0 does the encrypting/decrypting??

This is my understanding.

> What is the difference between isakmpd.conf and racoon.conf, or for
> that matter racoon and isakmpd??  Are they the same but racoon is
> newer?

This I honestly can't answer.

> -D

We found ALOT of useful links, example configs, etc... online and did alot
of tweaking to get this to work.  I'll see if I can dig up the information
and hopefully get a copy of the FreeS/WAN config (not my box) along with
the relevant parts of my racoon.conf.
--
Chris

"I'll defend to the death your right to say that, but I never said I'd
listen to it!"     -- Tom Galloway with apologies to Voltaire