Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 2003 04:19:44 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Dan Aiello <aielloda@cs.purdue.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing win2k after Freebsd?

On 2003-01-16 20:45, Dan Aiello <aielloda@cs.purdue.edu> wrote:

> > > Windows 2000 won't touch your boot loader, IIRC.
> >
> > And even if it does, you can boot of a FreeBSD install CD, got to the fdisk
> > section and tell it to write changes (without changing anything) and you'll
> > get the option to replace the FreeBSD boot loader.
> >
> > Warning on this, exactly which buttons you select determines whether or not
> > the bootloader gets installed.  I did it like 3 times or something before it
> > worked the last time I had to, but the good news is that it never did anything
> > wrong.
>
> For the curious, Windows 2000 _does_ overwrite the boot sector. Also, I
> was unable to make FreeBSD install the boot loader. I did every possible
> combination of things, and every time it _seemed_ like it was going to
> install the boot loader, but it never did until I went through an install
> process... :(

There are 3 ways listed in the FAQ for this very problem.  In the
past, I have recommended a fourth way in a followup of mine in this
list.  Have you tried one of them.  Which one?

I restored the FreeBSD boot loader in the workstation of a friend,
after he installed Windows 98.  It was easy:

  - Boot from the installation CDROM

  - Interrupt the boot loader at the spinning character
    by hitting SPACE.

  - At the "boot: " prompt type 0:ad(0,a)/boot/loader

  - Let FreeBSD boot as usual from the disk.

  - Log in as root, and type:

	# boot0cfg -v -B /dev/ad0

    [The actual device name might be different, depending on the disks
    you have at your system, but you get the idea.]

This seems to work nicely for me for some time now, every time I need
to do the "oops, windows ate my boot menu" thing.