Date:      23 Jan 2002 16:49:03 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Reversing Linux and FreeBSD running on same system without mutual self-destruction

Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net> writes:

> Here is a challenge.

You provided a lot of info, but maybe not enough.  I'm not promising any
great ideas, but I was wishing you'd have given approximate disk/
partition sizes at least.  Amount of unused space for tmp xfr.  How many
CDs you consider reasonable to write and verify.

I couldn't get reliable mounts of Linux from FreeBSD and vice versa, so
I tar'd directly into a raw FreeBSD partition from Linux and then from
FreeBSD, untar'd it.  I know that doesn't address some of your problems.

You might best use a scheme which involves putting everything on CD so
that you get a free backup in the process.  If you've got room, do
"dump ... | gzip | split ..." on your partitions and burn them.  You'd
need a big space to unsplit them to before "zcat ... | restore ...".

(I wish I knew how to make a pipe work like a tape drive with
end-of-file thingy so you could treat CDs like tapes with dump and
restore, and embed a gzip.  It should be doable.  It probably should
even be possible to make it work like a disk drive with 650 MB blocks.)