Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2000 20:54:01 +0200
From:      Lex Chive <lex@blacktrap.net>
To:        Paul Nelson <PNelson@ferguson.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Disabling smtp, & sunrpc

Paul Nelson wrote:

>     I am trying to close 111, and 25. w/ 25 I have commented out anything in
> /etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf that would open a port, and I have
> re-started inetd, but to no avail port 25 is still open!?! has anyone come
> across this that can help me?

25 is sendmail. Did you try telnetting your box on port 25? You should see the
sendmail prompt. All you need to do is put 'sendmail_enable=NO' in /etc/rc.conf.

btw, services only list port names and you will probably never need to edit it,
unless you want to add a service name.

> now for 111 (sunrpc) the only thing that I could find was /etc/rpc and I
> commented out 'portmapper 100000 portmap sunrpc' and I restarted the box....
> but if you port scan the host it says that 25, and 111 are still open!?!

111 is portmap, you need to put 'portmap_enable=NO' in rc.conf. /etc/rpc is
again a list you shouldn't need to edit.

Most configuration can be done by editing /etc/rc.conf and using
/etc/defaults/rc.conf for information. You can also set some options by running
/stand/sysinstall.

--
Chive.