Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 01:38:59 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        lwh@pathcom.com, Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        Robert Banniza <robert@rootprompt.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Make fails with mysql-3.22.32

At 12:27 AM 8/15/00 -0400, Luke Hollins wrote:
>On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Tom wrote:
>
> >   Second, sql_yacc.cc can not be compiled with -O3, you must use -O1.
> > The compiler will use all available memory to compile it.
> >
> > Tom
>
>it compiles ok with -O3 if you a load of ram/swap (biggest I've seen it is
>@310MB).
>
>Its probably a good idea for the port maintainer to default it to run
>configure --with-low-memory

What for?  The default is to compile sql_yacc.cc with -O0 (oh
zero).  Optimizations other than '-O -pipe' are really supported.  True,
some ports change this, but then they are full tested.  When you start to
f' around with how it compiles by default (ie delete patch-aq)  live with
it or Bill and others are going to ignore such complaints at the least and
most likely use napalm.  8-)

Oh yeah, this don't have squat to do with -stable either.  Check in on
-ports for additional bar-b-queing on this subject (and expect to be
ignored and/or flamed).

Nuff said.

FWIW - I have compiled with '-O -pipe' but used up most of the 128MB RAM
(fresh boot, stopped additional daemons) and about 94MB of swap.  It also
spent about triple the time it normally takes to compile and most of that
was due to swapping.  Bad idea for most to screw around, which show why the
defaults are there. <sigh>

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve