Date:      04 Dec 2001 11:26:51 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: request for review on patch

Bottom line:  The patch seems harmless.

Some comments for the patcher:

> 1) "FreeBSD" is a collection of bits, and as such cannot have goals.
> The "FreeBSD Project" is a group of people, and hence can have goals.

"FreeBSD" is a conventional shortening of both "The FreeBSD OS" and "The
FreeBSD Project", and hence FreeBSD CAN have goals, in the same way that
"hence can have goals" makes sense.  It's often OK to omit "needed" words.

> 2) Plural "goals", but only one goal listed.  The patch changes this
> to the singular, rather than creating another goal for the Project to
> work forwards.

> !           <para>The goal of the FreeBSD Project is to provide software
>               that may be used for any purpose and without strings attached.

Again, we have omitted words (after "and").  There are two goals:

-- to provide software that may be used for any purpose
-- to provide software without strings attached

I'm no grammar expert and could be wrong here.  Either makes some sense.

But this is a FAQ where there should be a high tolerance for such things.

P.S.  The following is OT in regards this patch, but the second goal above
is not true.  People who put copyright claims on software, even when they
offer a very liberal license, don't have a goal of providing the
software without strings.  Just few strings.  I do hate to see us making
extravagant, strictly untrue claims like that project with more strigns.