Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:47:13 +0100
From:      Piotr Gnyp <toread@discordia.pl>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.3-R-p5: frequent kernel panics

--h31gzZEtNLTqOjlF

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 05:11:46PM -0800, Doug White wrote:
> Please capture the panic messages and relevant kernel output along with
> your traces. It helps to know what the system was doing when it tanked,
> and the trap info decodes the frame in an easy-to-digest format for
> humans. :)

In info files:
Good dump found on device /dev/da2s1b
  Architecture: i386
  Architecture version: 1
  Dump length: 1073152000B (1023 MB)
  Blocksize: 512
  Dumptime: Wed Feb 23 15:31:58 2005
  Versionstring: FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p5 #1: Fri Feb 18 11:30:01 CET 2005
  Panicstring: page fault
  Bounds: 6

> Your traces are quite bizarre... somehow ttwakeup() jumps off into space.
> Line 2370 of ttwakeup() is ttecho() which implies your system is suffering
> from severe memory corruption, or your kernel binary is damaged.  I'd
> suggest doing a fresh buildworld+kernel and running memtest86. Also the
> mpt driver in 5.3 is known to react badly to SCSI errors but I don't think
> it runs off and randomly corrupts memory.

I phoned HP, they told me to reorganize RAM in banks, so now 512MB is in
bank 0 and 256 in bank 1 and 2. I did also as you adviced - make buildworld,
make kernel, make installworld.

After changing MP from 1.4 to 1.1 system was stable for 3 days. However I
switched again to 1.4 (according to HP support). Now I`ll wait if it will
panic again.

> Also check the system event log for any errors logged from hardware, such
> as ECC corrections, power problems, or temperature alarms.  The ProLiants
> (this is a DL380 or something of that nature?) have sophisticated internal
> monitoring and can log events even if the OS is damaged.

None errors on console and log (server - HP Proliant ML110)

> What were your kernel compile flags?

make.conf:
COPTFLAGS=3D -O -pipe
WANT_FORCE_OPTIMIZATION_DOWNGRADE=3D1

Thanks a lot for help! I`ll keep you informed on progress.

--=20

--h31gzZEtNLTqOjlF

--h31gzZEtNLTqOjlF--