Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2006 12:55:22 -0400
From:      Bob Richards <bob@tania.servebbs.org>
To:        Micah <micahjon@ywave.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mount Point permissions

--nextPart55021804.4fKVCis0o0

On Thursday 10 August 2006 00:50, Micah wrote:

> One possible workaround is to use msdosfs instead of ufs. Seems to work
> fine for my regular user account. But I agree that floppy support sucks.
> Try accidentally mounting a write-protected floppy as rw. You get a
> flood of errors that cannot be cleared without a reboot.

Micah:

If we are intent to ween people off Micro$h|t, we have to take care of the
"little things". It's hard to sell an alternative, when that alternative ba=
rfs
on a simple thing like Floppy-Use.=20
=20
The "big" stuff is in place already; M$ cpmpatibilitynin WP, Spread-sheets,=
=20
mail... etc. is already far better than M$. It is the small crap, liike=20
=46loppy drive use, which makes the "conversion" a problem!
=20
The open-source community have to get their act together, and realize
that main-stream users will gladly switch to FreeBsd/Linux when and ONLY
when all the basics are working.
=20
=46or a geek, these "problems" are trivial; for a WindowZ idiot, these thji=
ngs
are what kills a sale, and maintains Wind0WZ dominance in user-space.
=20
Bob
=20