Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 09:27:04 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Kenneth Wayne Culver wrote:

> > I don't think it was ever recommended that you upgrade your kernel
> > without upgrading and rebuilding the modules (better still, world) at
> > the same time. So this wouldn't really have an adverse effect, would it?
>
> I believe that it depends on what changes were made since the last
> recompile, although it is good practice to at least recompile the modules
> when the kernel is recompiled.

On a released system, I may not have the sources to recompile the module.
It might be a proprietary module that I got with the hardware, for example.
That is why STABLE INTERFACES are so IMPORTANT to USERS.

"Current" is a sandbox. Lower expectations are part of that game.
But released systems are stone houses, not sandcastles.