Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2007 09:46:37 +0900
From:      Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh@gmail.com>
To:        Esa Karkkainen <ejk@iki.fi>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reproducable, possibly NFS related, fatal double fault in 6.2-R-p7

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 11:32:02PM +0300, Esa Karkkainen wrote:
 > On Sun, Oct 14, 2007 at 02:37:23PM +0200, Kris Kennaway wrote:
 > > Esa Karkkainen wrote:
 > > >	I get "Fatal double fault" error when writing to a filesystem
 > > >mounted from NFS server.
 >
 > I got an offlist reply in which he suggested that the problem might be
 > in nve driver.
 >
 > I installed an additional Intel nic, appropriate lines from dmesg are
 > as follows
 >
 > fxp0: <Intel 82559 Pro/100 Ethernet> port 0xb000-0xb03f mem
 > 0xe7200000-0xe7200fff,0xe7000000-0xe70fffff irq 11 at device 6.0 on pci1
 > miibus1: <MII bus> on fxp0
 > inphy0: <i82555 10/100 media interface> on miibus1
 > inphy0:  10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
 >
 > After I started to use fxp0, I can dump(8) all the necessary filesystems
 > to the NFS mount, with out panic.
 >
 > When I used nve0 dump(8) or cp(1) managed to write less than megabyte to NFS
 > mount and then machine paniced.

I remember that nve(4) is NOT stable under heavy network loads.
I'd like to say use nfe(4) which is believed to be more stable/fast
than nve(4). nfe(4) is also default NVIDIA NIC driver for
CURRENT/RELENG_7. If you have to use RELENG_6 try nfe(4) at the
following URL.

http://www.f.csce.kyushu-u.ac.jp/~shigeaki/software/freebsd-nfe.html

--
Regards,