Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 13:43:33 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        chas <panda@skinnyhippo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how can you tell when disk i/o is limiting performance ?

>Is there any method to measure disk I/O, in particular to
>work out if it is limiting performance ?
>
>Context :
>1 x 18 GB SCSI HD (10,000 RPM)
>
>Each day :
>200,000    x  CGI processes, each reading 2 or 3 flat files
>100,000    x  CGI processes, each reading/writing to mysql database
>1,000,000+ x  flat files (images, .html etc)
>
>plus 400 MB+ of apache log files are created each day.
>
>There seems to be ample RAM and CPU (and we're not even going
>into swap) but the website is really crawling. I realise that
>this could be due to the poor bandwidth in China (where the
>server is hosted) but would like to also monitor the disk i/o
>if it's possible since the CGIs open a lot of files and the apache
>log files are being written nonstop.
>
>Hopefully then I can plan/budget for more disks and/or a second
>server as traffic reaches a threshold.
>
>So :
>a) can this be measured ?  (i.e how do you know when your disk i/o is
>   the limiting factor ? )

   Use "systat -iostat". Look at the TPS rates for each disk drive. Modern
disk drives top out at around 80-120 TPS.

>b) would it make more sense to have 3 separate (physical) disks for :
>   - apache log files
>   - mysql database
>   - operating system, applications, website files/cgi

   Yes, more disks is better.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.