Date:      Wed, 7 Nov 2001 15:22:48 +0100
From:      Jochen Kaiser <Jochen.Kaiser@rrze.uni-erlangen.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   remote installworld; export /usr/obj -ro via nfs ?

Hello,

I am interested in providing ppl. a remote update mechanism here at
university. I just started playing with this topic.

I therefore would appreciate any hints for the following questions:

1) I exported /usr/src, /usr/obj and started "make buildworld" and afterwards
   "make installworld" and it worked perfectly. I did export both with
   'read only' option and it did work.

   Is there any known bad misbehaviour if /usr/obj is exported 'ro' instead
   of 'rw' ? A friend of mine did me tell of errors he did experience with
   'ro' export?

   I searched the lists, but did not find any hints about this.

2) are there any articles about centralized management of a bunch
   of freebsd boxes?

   (google searched, too, nothing detailed found)

3) is there a strategy to distribute /usr/ports? maybe to modify the
   scripts for building a /usr/ports/X/Y/work.'hostname'?

cheers and tia
Jochen

--
Jochen Kaiser,       GPG 0x3C93A870,      phone +49 9131 85-28134
Network Administration  mailto:jochen.kaiser@rrze.uni-erlangen.de