Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 2010 18:15:29 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Aiza <aiza21@comclark.com>
Cc:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: .cshrc usage

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 18:23:52 +0800, Aiza <aiza21@comclark.com> wrote:
> I want to change the console prompt for all users that get accounts
> created. I added it to /etc/csh.cshrc which says it a system-wide .cshrc
> file. But after adding a new user with pw command with -m and logging in
> as the user name the prompt is still the old way. Do I have to add it to
> /usr/share/skel/dot.cshrc to get the change to take effect?

Check the users' ~/.cshrc to see if they override those settings.
I also have some standard settings for all users in /etc/csh.cshrc,
and users' ~/.cshrc are usually empty (unless they add their own
settings or override mine).

	if ($?prompt) then
		set promptchars = "%#"
		set prompt = "%n@%m:%~%# "
		set autolist
#		... more stuff here ...
	endif

This is an example on how to properly implement the standard prompt
(username, hostname, current directory with home substitution, and
permission indicator).

The /usr/share/skel directory contains files that are copied to a
user's directory when an account is created. This means: See what's
in those files. If they override your global settings, change them.
If an account has already been created, check the user's files.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany