Date:      Wed, 30 Jan 2002 23:04:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim Kellers <timothyk@serv1.wallnet.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   X suddenly hates me

At work, on Monday, we got a brand new shipment of 10 Dell Latitude C600
laptops.  Since I'm in charge of taking care of that sort of thing, the
first thing I did was grab one, shrink (fips.exe) the FAT partition, and
install FreeBSD on it. Everything worked like a charm, including
cvsuping the src-all and ports-all sources, rebuilding the world and
having a dandy 4.5-STABLE release.  Even the Dell TrueMobile wireless card
woke up on boot (something that the Win 2k partition is yet to accomplish)
and I had network connectivity, immediately --infact I'm typing this ssh'd
into my ISP from the Latitude right now.

Then I built KDE 2.2.2_x from ports... but, for the first time ever (for
me), KDE built and installed without an error!

Riding this swell of success, I brought the laptop home with me tonight
and started to configure the X-server --and there my sucess story ground
to a halt....

This laptop has an ATI Mobility 128 graphics card (supported under
XFree336_10), a 14.x " monitor (windows claims it's 60 Hz) and 8 MB of
video Ram.

Everytime I try and run the CLI X config program (from /stand/sysinstall)
X refuses to start...  various errors, though the "16bpp mode is not
supported" is the one I see last before the dreaded "Fatal Server error"
line.

I used to be able to fight through these problems with the old graphical
XF86Setup, but, in this version of X it is apparently gone.

I've tried everything I can think of but X is till a no-go... if anyone
has faced this problem recently (or especially if they have won the
battle) please let me know.  I can attach the Config file if needed, but I
figured this e-mail was far long enough.

Thanks,

Tim Kellers
CPE/NJIT