Date:      Mon, 20 May 2002 17:10:25 +0100
From:      Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.6-RC system hangs (fxp0, smp, sym)

> Fascinating.  Same problem here, only with a Tyan Thunder 2500 (Serverworks
> chipset).  Symbios 53C896 SCSI, fxp0 ethernet.  Hangs, but no messages, no
> bus resets, nothing.  I do occasionally see "psmintr: out of sync" messages,
> but I think that's just a symptom of the hang, not a cause.

Hmm, looks like there is some evidence that this is a real problem and not
just a symptom of flaky hardware at my end (which I had put it down to
until now). So does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to set
about getting it fixed then ?

Incidentally, FreeBSD does something odd with Symbios SCSI interfaces
as I have another set of Compaqs that will not reboot after BSd has
been run on them,and require a power cycle - see

which I submitted some time ago, and nobody has managed to make any
suggestions on...

-pcf.