Date:      Mon, 17 Oct 2016 15:03:21 +1030
From:      Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
To:        Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>, "Brandon J. Wandersee" <brandon.wandersee@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: help install new kernel on root-on-ZFS on 11-STABLE

On 17/10/2016 09:01, Ben Woods wrote:
> On Monday, 17 October 2016, Brandon J. Wandersee <
> brandon.wandersee@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Last I checked, the automated installer created a separate pool called
>> "bootpool," with a symlink from /boot to /bootpool.
>>

> I believe this is the case if the option for full disk encryption is
> selected in the installer. This is required until the boot loader is
> capable of recognising and accessing a geli encrypted disk.

For a "plain" install, /boot is nothing more than a directory created in
the root filesystem that will get created during installation. This is
the same for UFS and ZFS. I haven't checked during a build but I don't
think anything gets installed into /boot before installkernel so you
shouldn't expect it to exist before installkernel.

As mentioned you can create a separate pool for /boot so you can load
the kernel from a non-encrypted filesystem that can then mount the
remaining encrypted filesystems.

Another alternative setup is using boot environments that would create
filesystems as /sys/ROOT/<boot env name> that are then mounted as the
root filesystem. Like a plain system the /boot folder would still be
created at the installkernel stage.

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Storing Data

Shane Ambler