Date:      Sat, 24 Apr 1999 17:56:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: loading new kernel

This doesn't really belong here, but the right people read the list.

There have been systems that could do this. The ones I know about all
had multiple processors. Multics did the trick by migrating everything
off of one processor, shutting it down, and bringing it up running the
new kernel. Do that for each processor, and when you're done you've
done a kernel upgrade. Tandems NonStop systems had multiple processors
so it could have a CPU failure without stopping, and they also allowed
OS upgrades to be installed without stopping (nuts, they allowed CPU
upgrades to be installed without stopping), though I'm not sure of the
details for that one.

In other words, it's not a ridiculous idea. It does tend to be
expensive to implement, though.

	<mike