Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:39:28 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with devel/p5-Locale-gettext

I'm trying to set up a server with FreeBSD 5.3. One of the things I need is
php and PEAR. I had no trouble installing php4, but when I went on to try
to install php4-extensions and devel/php4-pear, I hit a roadblock:
apparently both depend on devel/p5-Locale-gettext (why php would depend on
a Perl module puzzles me, but I guess that's the way the world is). I'm
using a new cvsup of ports and tried deleting the directory and doing a new
cvsup.

During compilation I get this error:

>===>  Building for p5-gettext-1.03
>Makefile out-of-date with respect to
>/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.5/mach/Config.pm
>/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.5/mach/CORE/config.h
>Cleaning current config before rebuilding Makefile...
>make -f Makefile.old clean > /dev/null 2>&1 || /bin/sh -c true
>/usr/local/bin/perl5.8.5 Makefile.PL "CC=cc" "CCFLAGS=-O -pipe "
>"PREFIX=/usr/local" "INSTALLPRIVLIB=/usr/local/lib"
>"INSTALLARCHLIB=/usr/local/lib"
>Writing Makefile for Locale::gettext
>==> Your Makefile has been rebuilt. <==
>==> Please rerun the make command.  <==
>false
>*** Error code 1
>
>Stop in /usr/ports/devel/p5-Locale-gettext/work/gettext-1.03.
>*** Error code 1

I don't get it. I just installed from CD (downloaded the iso image Friday)
and haven't yet compiled a custom kernel, so the latest patches to Perl
5.8.5 (if any) haven't been installed. I haven't been monitoring ports very
attentively, although I subscribe, so there might have been something
mentioned over the last month that I didn't notice. uname -a shows:

>FreeBSD russell.stjohn.ac.th 5.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #0: Fri
>Nov  5 04:19:18 UTC
>2004     root@harlow.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

Can anyone suggest what I can do to fix this? It's not an emergency -- I
don't absolutely have to have the machine in production for a couple of
weeks -- but I'd really like to get it working.

--
Roger