Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:47:55 +0200
From:      Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
To:        des@des.no (=?iso-8859-1?q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?=)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A20/keybord/no-keyboard

> The console driver (sc) currently requires you to have at least one
> keyboard driver compiled in.  Since your board doesn't have a display
> adapter, you can simply remove 'device sc'.
> =

the kbd.c was getting compiled in, and complained, but i think that's
taken care of.
I solved it by adding hint.atkbdc.0.disabled=3D"1".

As I wrote before, 'it would be nice', if such fantom devices could
be detected at boot time, so the same fs/root/kernel could work on
'similar' platforms out-of-the-box. with the kbd, i found where it was lo=
oping,
in 'atkbdc.c: empty_both_buffers', but got lost trying to figure out how
to get out of it (specialy since there is no kbd/buffer :-).

> from an earlier message:
> =

> > btw, this board doesn't have a vga either, and only after i removed
> > it from the kernel config did i begin to see some output on the
> > serial line.
> =

> If the VGA driver is present, the system will assume you want to use a
> VGA console, unless you force one of the serial ports to become the
> system console by setting the appropriate hint in device.hints or
> loader.conf as documented in the sio(4) man page.  For instance:
> =

> hint.sio.0.flags=3D"0x30"
> =

> forces sio0 to become the system console regardless of the presence of
> a display adapter.
> =

> You may also have to tell the boot code and loader to use the serial
> console; see their respective manual pages.

im using hint.sio.0.flags=3D"0x20", and still, only after i removed the v=
ga
from the config file did i get the console output on the serial line.

i'm using boot0sio, so the boot is also talking via the serial, but the B=
TX
is still using the vga, compiling it to use the serial gave errors.

danny