Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 1998 16:06:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rudy Gireyev <rgireyev@yahoo.com>
To:        Li-heng Lee <lee@sunrise.e-technik.uni-ulm.de>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.1.7-version install problems

---Li-heng Lee <lee@sunrise.e-technik.uni-ulm.de> wrote:

> Dear Sir,
>
> I purchased a Walnut Creek Version 2.1.7 FreeBSD-CDROM last April,
but till
> recently I got chance to install it on my PC which is equipped with
a Cyrix
> P166+ CPU, two EIDE HDs(270MB and 2100MB),an NEC IDE ATAPI 6X CDROM
drive,
> 32MB main memory, and 512KB cache. After I installed from DOS
partition, I
> have the following problems.
>
> 1. CDROM can not be configured. It is said ATAPI CDROM drive support
is
> still    alpha version for ver. 2.1.7. Are there still some ways to
remedy.
> 2. I configured XF86Config, but the system can not find the commands
like
>    startx, xinit... etc. They are really in /usr/X11R6/bin. My
keyboard is a
>    Windows 95 keyboard. Is the keyboard an issue?

You have to go to your .profile or .cshrc file and add /usr/X11R6/bin to
your PATH

> 3. I can not extract the packages from the DOS partition.

Using the DOS partition does not allow you to specify directories :-(
So what I do is mount_msdos /... /... and then use existing file
system option
That way you can try to enter the directories around the location of
your package :-) and see if that works.