Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 1998 11:59:37 -0500
From:      Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
Subject:   Kernel / Compiler bug?

Sorry if this is a re-run, but it looks like the original got lost somewhere.

This problem may be CAM specific.

I am not sure what to do about this one.  Since I got my machine I have not
been able to build a kernel that runs, without using "swap on generic" and
-a at the boot prompt

Well, after doing some debugging, it looks like the line

	dev_t rootdev = makedev(4, 0x000020000);

in swapkernel.c (/usr/src/sys/compile/<foo>/swapkernel.c) isn't being run.

The fatal trap 12 I was getting is caused by major(rootdev) being 0, thus
deferencing bdevsw[major(rootdev)] deferences null.

If I copy the rootdev assignment into setconf() (in swapkernel.c), the
resultant kernel does not need the "swap on generic", and will happily boot
unattended.

Anyway, yes, I realize that the global variable *should* be set.  On my
machine thoough, using a freshly built system from current sources (e.g.
this week), it isn't.

So, what need to be done to get this fix in place?  It seems I am not the
only one with this problem.

+C

--
Thinking of purchasing RAM from the Chip Merchant?  Please read this first:
<http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/chipmerchant.html>;

Cory Kempf                  Macintosh / Unix Consulting & Software Development
ckempf@enigami.com          <http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/>;