Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 2015 16:44:30 -0600
From:      Jim Thompson <jim@netgate.com>
To:        =?utf-8?Q?Olivier_Cochard-Labb=C3=A9?= <olivier@cochard.me>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>, =?utf-8?Q?Antoine_Beaupr=C3=A9?= <anarcat@koumbit.org>
Subject:   Re: is polling still a thing?

<mailto:kudzu@tenebras.com>> wrote:
>=20
>=20
> On small, embedded computers running ipfw w/kernel nat and device =
polling enabled (on em ether adapters), I observed the *reported* system =
load grow very high. When disabling polling on the interfaces, it went =
back to something normal.
>=20
> My impression is that the consensus among the core developers =
concerned with networking is that device polling is an ancient hack and =
is deprecated. In the case of a DDoS attack, there may be many other =
things to try - at the infrastructure level - traffic diversion =
techniques like BGP flowspec, use anycast, etc.  On the individual =
server level, use stateful rules with GRED enabled, dropping most new =
tcp or udp traffic based on load.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> If I remember well, Luigi had a surprise regarding the advantage of =
using polling inside a VM:
> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2013-May/035626.html =
<https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2013-May/035626.html>;
>=20
> But on real hardware, since the introduction of interrupt moderation =
on NIC, polling is not more useful.

The DPDK guys disagree.