Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 15:25:25 -0700
From:      "Boune, Damian" <DBoune@co.napa.ca.us>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 3.2/ATI Video/X

Greetings
	I have an old AST Bravo tower that I am running FreeBSD 3.2 on. The
system has a built in ATI Mach64 VT which can not be disabled in any way
from a system/hardware level.  I have a PCI ATI Mach64 GX, which gives me
considerably higher video performance.
	When I add the GX to the system, the bootup messages tell me that
the VT is assigned vga0 and the GX is vga1.
	The ATI Mach64 GX works fine until I execute X.
	On 'xinit', I receive messages from the X Mach64 video server
telling me what display profiles have been deleted due to monitor/video card
restraints as is usual, then is simply stops. There is no further disk
activity, and after waiting an hour, nothing has changed. Only the last
messages from X are on the screen.
	When I unplug the external card, and re-configure X, it runs fine.
If I plug the video card into another FreeBSD machine that does not have
another video card, X runs fine.
	Is there any way to disable that first video card in the kernel
configuration? (I do run a custom kernel, no trix)
	Any other fixes that I can make? Am I running down a long endless
trail? :)

Here is the dmesg.
---------Snip Snip--------
Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
chip0: <Intel 82439HX PCI cache memory controller> rev 0x01 on pci0.0.0
chip1: <Intel 82371SB PCI to ISA bridge> rev 0x00 on pci0.7.0
ide_pci0: <Intel PIIX3 Bus-master IDE controller> rev 0x00 on pci0.7.1
vga0: <ATI Mach64-VT graphics accelerator> rev 0x08 int a irq 255 on
pci0.8.0
xl0: <3Com 3c905B-TX Fast Etherlink XL> rev 0x24 int a irq 11 on pci0.17.0
xl0: Ethernet address: 00:10:4b:79:11:5c
xl0: autoneg complete, link status good (half-duplex, 10Mbps)
vga1: <ATI Mach64-GX graphics accelerator> rev 0x00 on pci0.19.0

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Damian Boune