Date:      Wed, 10 Feb 2021 18:37:00 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        "freebsd-arch@freebsd.org" <arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: adding a sysctl man section

On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 5:15 PM John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com> wrote:

> Inspired by: https://twitter.com/michaeldexter/status/1359614809365311490
>
> I realized that we could/should create a new sysctl section.  My initial
> thought was section s, but I'd be open for other recommendations.
>
> Then, any page that describes a sysctl, would add an MLINK to it:
> MLINK+= xhci.4 hw.usb.xhci.debug.s
>
> This section would be added to the default search, and then users
> would simply be able to type: man <sysctl> and get directed to the
> page that has information about it.
>
> Any objections?

I think adding the sysctl to the man page is great.

However, I have a concern about the links:

% sysctl -a | wc
   38632   78349 1423715

This suggests a lot of links if this idea were to be fully populated
(though maybe not 30k)

Also, how do you document things like the dev hierarchy which has a unit
number tossed into the middle?

dev.uhub.1.%parent: usbus1
dev.uhub.1.%pnpinfo:
dev.uhub.1.%location:
dev.uhub.1.%driver: uhub
dev.uhub.1.%desc: 0x1022 XHCI root HUB, class 9/0, rev 3.00/1.00, addr 1
dev.uhub.0.disable_port_power: 0
dev.uhub.0.disable_enumeration: 0
dev.uhub.0.%domain: 0
dev.uhub.0.%parent: usbus0
dev.uhub.0.%pnpinfo:
dev.uhub.0.%location:
dev.uhub.0.%driver: uhub

Also, all the nodes have the %parent, %pnp, %location, %driver and %desc
nodes. Those are provided by newbus, while everything else is dependent on
the driver...

Warner