Date:      Tue, 1 Mar 2005 10:24:25 -0600
From:      Troy <troy@twisted.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   External Monitor console resolution black screen after exiting KDE

I'm having a strange problem and figured to post to the list for any
insight.  I have an IBM T23 ThinkPad and am running RELENG_5 (currently
5.4) branch.

Everything works fine if the laptop is not connected to the KVM.  I can
boot up, launch KDE, exit and the console resets itself fine.

When I'm connected to my KVM with an external monitor, I can boot the
machine up and use the console just fine.  When I go to launch KDE, the
external monitor works fine.  Once I exit from KDE, it appears that the
operating system does not reset the terminal properly and the monitor just
shows a black screen as if the video mode is not supported.

>From that point, I can blindly type "startx" and get back into KDE and
the monitor will work properly, but I cannot get it to reset the console
properly.   If I toggle the video back to the laptop screen, I see
vertical lines on the screen.

The only way I can get it to clear is by shutting off the machine and
rebooting.  I recompiled my kernel with and without VESA, tried using
video modes that I know work in the console but nothing will reset it back
after exiting KDE.  Any insight would be great.

Thanks,

-Troy