Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 1999 19:16:35 +0100 (CET)
From:      Blaz Zupan <blaz@gold.amis.net>
To:        Petri Helenius <pete@sms.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spontaneous reboots

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Petri Helenius wrote:
>  > Is anyone with a 586 or 686-class CPU seeing the spontaneous reboots with
>  > 3.0-STABLE or 4.0-CURRENT?
> Yes.
> The machine below reboots 1-5 times a day.
> It started after 2.2.8-->3.0 and eventually 4.0 upgrade.

Ok, I looked at your dmesg output, here is what you have in common with
my box:

> vga0: <S3 Trio graphics accelerator> rev 0x54 int a irq 9 on pci0.16.0
> vga0 at 0x3b0-0x3df maddr 0xa0000 msize 131072 on isa

My box says this:

> vga0: <S3 Trio graphics accelerator> rev 0x53 int a irq 11 on pci0.11.0
> vga0 at 0x3b0-0x3df maddr 0xa0000 msize 131072 on isa

Ok, so we seem to be using a simmilar graphic card. What are the other
guys having this problem using?

If the others are not using S3 Trio cards, then it does not seem to be a
hardware problem, because this is the only common hardware that I have
with Petri.

Next: software. I'm running qmail, sshd, isdnd (for ISDN) and X (login
through xdm, WindowMaker window manager). Bug can be triggered by starting
up an ISDN connection to my ISP, which starts a UUCP over TCP download,
then at the same time I usually run a cvsup and also ssh. The machine
sponteously reboots a couple of seconds after the ISDN connection is
established.

Another idea: here is my kernel configuration file. Others having problems
please mail me your kernel configuration files (private mail, to not
clutter this mailing list). I _do_ have softupdates turned on. Notice that
I have recently removed ed0 and added DDB to my kernel config file and I
don't yet know any impact this will have on the problem.

machine		"i386"
cpu		"I486_CPU"
ident		GOLD
maxusers	32
options		INET			#InterNETworking
options		FFS			#Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options		FFS_ROOT		#FFS usable as root device [keep this!]
options		"COMPAT_43"		#Compatible with BSD 4.3
options		UCONSOLE		#Allow users to grab the console
options		USERCONFIG		#boot -c editor
options		VISUAL_USERCONFIG	#visual boot -c editor
options		SYSVSHM
options		SYSVSEM
options		SYSVMSG
options		AHC_ALLOW_MEMIO
options		"VM86"
options		SOFTUPDATES
options		"TEL_S0_16_3"
options		"P1003_1B"
options		"_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING"
options		"_KPOSIX_VERSION=199309L"
options		KTRACE
options		INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE	# Include this file in kernel
config		kernel	root on da1
controller	isa0
controller	pci0
controller	fdc0	at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2
disk		fd0	at fdc0 drive 0
controller	ahc0
controller	scbus0
device		da0
device		cd0
device		pass0
controller	atkbdc0	at isa? port IO_KBD tty
device		atkbd0	at isa? tty irq 1
device		vga0	at isa? port ? conflicts
device		sc0	at isa? tty
pseudo-device	splash
device		npx0	at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13
device		sio0	at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4
device		sio1	at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3
device		sio2	at isa? port "IO_COM3" tty irq 5
device		ed0	at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 iomem 0xd8000
device		isic0	at isa? port 0xd80 net irq 12 flags 3
controller	ppbus0
controller	vpo0	at ppbus?
device		nlpt0	at ppbus?
device		plip0	at ppbus?
controller	ppc0	at isa? port ? tty irq 7
pseudo-device	loop
pseudo-device	ppp	2
pseudo-device	sppp	4
pseudo-device	tun	1
pseudo-device	pty	16
pseudo-device	ether
pseudo-device	bpfilter	4
pseudo-device	streams
pseudo-device	"i4bq921"
pseudo-device	"i4bq931"
pseudo-device	"i4b"
pseudo-device	"i4btrc"	4
pseudo-device	"i4bctl"
pseudo-device	"i4brbch"	4
pseudo-device	"i4btel"	2
pseudo-device	"i4bipr"	4
pseudo-device	"i4bisppp"	4

Next try: Does anyone who is seeing the problem have another box available
that he could use as a serial console (to catch any possible messages
displayed on the console)? I'll try to do this and it would be helpful if
somebody else does this as well.

Blaz Zupan, blaz@medinet.si, http://home.amis.net/blaz
Medinet d.o.o., Linhartova 21, 2000 Maribor, Slovenia