Date:      Sun, 26 Oct 2003 16:09:36 -0800
From:      DavidB <odyseus00@whatistruth.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linux Mozilla and Java VM

Greetings all,

I had problems with the linux-mozilla v1.4 installed from the ports
tree. Java-VM plug-in didn't work and was an error message of undefined
symbol: __vt_17nsGetServiceByCID

After doing searchs and not finding much here and reading the lengthy
bug report at mozilla.  I have come up with a solution that works for me.

I un-installed linux-base and installed linux_base-8
I installed  linux-sun-jdk-1.4.2
and made sure that I symlinked to
/usr/local/linux-sun-jdk1.4.2/jre/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Hope I haven't left anything out, I did this a couple of weeks ago.

So here is why, the linux-sun-jdk-1.4.2 contains a fix for this issue
but you have to use a version of the java plugin that is built by gcc
3.2 hence the symlink to the one contained under ns610-gcc32. And I
installed linux_base-8 because it had the gcc-libs that I needed for the
  gcc v3.2 compiled plugin to work. I suppose I could have tried to
install the rpms for gcc 3.2 and libs with the standard linux_base, but
didn't go for that excercise, any one else care to try?

So here is a "works for me" report.

I am not sure if the linux-sun-jdk-1.4 or the linux_base-8 have any
caveats, but haven't noticed any problems. So may be someone could speak
to those?

So now my test java-vm item "works for me" www.superpages.com and going
to the map based search.  And I haven't noticed any more broken java-vm
items when websurfing.

There may be other solutions for this problem but this is what I did.

Hope this helps,
David