Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 2004 13:16:31 -0700
From:      <soralx@cydem.org>
To:        kuku@kukulies.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: off topic - disk crash

> With certain directories or files I get READ_DMA timeouts and also the
> system hangs totally when a certain type of error occurs.
>
> ad2: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retryinmg (2 retries left) LBA=24703729
> ad2: WARNING - READ_DMA Interrupt was seen but but timeout fired
> LBA=24703729 ad2: WARNING - READ_DMA Interrupt was seen but but taskqueue
> stalled LBA=24703729 ad0: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE> LBA=9825063
>
> What I find strange is that the failing drive on the secondary IDE channel
> causes the primary channel also to fail.
>
> I wonder if this has to happen or could be avoided. I can only reboot from
> that point on.

I used a straightforward approach: copy files with midc, note on which the
system freezes, reboot, and skip those files. Eventually I got everything
impotant recovered. BTW, one of the few files which could not be read was
the Apache log - another reason to keep huge logs on sepatate drives (or
slices, at least). :)

Timestamp: 0x4054BCAD
[SorAlx]  http://cydem.org.ua/