Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 2004 21:34:16 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "J.D. Bronson" <jbronson@wixb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: diskspace used on full install?

J.D. Bronson wrote:

> I did a full install of 5.3 and I was wondering about how much
> typically ends up in / ?
>
> I setup my mounts like this:
>
> /
> /usr
> /var
> /home
> /tmp
>
> and I am seeing this for / :
>
> Filesystem  1K-blocks    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/da0s1a    507630  106656  360364    23%    /
>

> Does that seem right or have I lost space in / recently ?
>
> I dont have a baseline to compare this by since installing 1 week ago :(
>
> thanks guys-
>
>  -JDB

Output from df(1) appears in your nightly emails ("from Charlie Root.")
It helps in trying to figure out maybe *when* something might have
changed.  You should have mail from Charlie somewhere (if you haven't
set up where to send it in /etc/mail/aliases, then login as root and
type "mail", or point an editor at /var/mail/root.

The full output of mount(8) might be helpful to us on the list.
Also, for your own use, (as root) you might try:

# cd /
# du -hxm  | sort -n

Which should get you "human readable" output on the disk
usage of your root file system, without crossing mount points,
output in megabytes and sorted in order by size.  Might take
a moment to output it, though...

Kevin Kinsey