Date:      Thu, 9 May 2002 22:45:34 +0100
From:      Nuno Teixeira <nunotex@pt-quorum.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   enable soft updates without single user nor reboot?

    Hello to all,

    I've searched the web to find a way of turning on soft updates without
    using single user mode because I don't have access to console.

    What I found was:

    mount -ufo ro <filesystem>
    tunefs -n enable <filesystem>
    mount -ufo rw <filesystem>

    And it works ok in a filesystem that isn't in use and I whan't activate
    soft updates in all partitions including "/".

    I want to enable soft updates in a server (FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE) but I'm
    afraid what the `ro' can do to my services (apache, mail, etc).

    Q1. There is other (safer) way of turning this on ?

    Q2. I don't remenber if RELEASE-4.4 works ok with soft updates, because
    I always track STABLE at home and RELEASE at server and I'm not shure
    if  activating soft updates in 4.4R is a good idea.

    Can anyone help me in this issue?

    Thanks very much,

    		Nuno Teixeira

--