Date:      Thu, 02 Nov 2000 00:04:34 +0000
From:      Gustavo Vieira Goncalves Coelho Rios <gustavo@ifour.com.br>
Cc:        Charlie Root <root@takiweb.yi.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, liberty6@twcny.rr.com
Subject:   Re: pissed!!!

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Tuesday, 31 October 2000 at  8:42:25 -0500, Charlie Root wrote:
> > Dear freebsd.org,
> >    I am PISSED!!! I used to be a winblows user, converted to Linux, and
> > ran OpenBSD for a few months. But since I've installed the $49.99
> > CompUSA boxed version of FreeBSD 4.0, when I run startx my system
> > crashes! Is this what you consider to be "rock-solid stability??"
> > Sometimes when I run startx, I get X to work. The other times, my
> > system crashes to a point where I need to do a physical powerdown
> > of my machine, cause even ctrl-alt-del wont work.
> >    I have a pentium 2 300MHz class machine, with an SiS 5598
> > video board. Nobody in the chat rooms knows anything about what I'm
> > talking about. And I am PISSED!!! OpenBSD was working great (even via an
> > ftp install!) But no, FreeBSD wants to be the luser in my box!!
> > What should I do to fix this problem???
> > Please email me with the fix!
>
> Reinstall OpenBSD.

That's the point here, the sentence "rock solid" is just that, a
sentence!
FreeBSD is stable, but my experience with Open has showed me what a more
controlled project can reach in terms of quality, for instance, openbsd
does not have their developer commiting CURRENT code to the STABLE
branch, and this happens in Free!

My suggestion is like Greg's one, reinstall OpenBSD.