Date:      Sat, 3 May 2014 12:55:36 -0500
From:      Scot Hetzel <swhetzel@gmail.com>
To:        Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
Cc:        dinoex@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Security <FreeBSD-security@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ports/189208: Add a mention of WITH_OPENSSL_PORT to the pkg-descr of security/openssl

On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 11:35 AM, Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com> wrote:
> Note that the description below does *not* match what people were saying =
last week about how things work. My reading of the earlier thread was that,=
 unless you had WITH_OPENSSL_PORT=3Dyes in /etc/make.conf, a port needing O=
penSSL would make with OpenSSL from the base.

> I am not a porter and wouldn't know where to look in the code, so I can't=
 figure out which is right. But it is clear that this is worth clarifying b=
oth in the openssl pkg-descr *and* in the make.conf man page.

bsd.openssl.mk has the falling checks:

if WITH_OPENSSL_BASE is set, then use the base system's OpenSSL.
if WITH_OPENSSL_BASE or WITH_OPENSSL_PORT are not set, check if
${LOCALBASE}/lib/libcrypto.so is installed, if it is then use the
OpenSSL port, otherwise use the base system's OpenSSL.
if WITH_OPENSSL_PORT is set, then use the OpenSSL port

So, if you install the OpenSSL port first, then ports that require
OpenSSL should be built against the OpenSSL Port.

--=20
DISCLAIMER:

No electrons were maimed while sending this message. Only slightly bruised.