Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 07:20:48 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1011574745.7d17f9@mired.org>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: USB CF reader (SanDisk) epilog

Mike writes:

> True, but in my experience it's not the main
> one. The main one is that debugging problems
> remotely means you've got fragmentary and often
> inaccurate information to work with.

Yes, but the fragmentary and incomplete information refers to the vendor's
own documentation.  Most vendors document virtually nothing internally.
You'd think that there would be stacks and stacks of special manuals for
internal use explaining every single module written by a vendor for support
purposes, but in fact there is usually nothing beyond the documentation
already provided to end users.  As a result, so-called technical support
amounts to trial and error, with lots of guesswork.  You try all sorts of
things until you find something that works, and then you recommend that to
the customer.  The next time you see a problem that looks similar, you
recommend the same thing and hope it will work again.  If nothing seems to
work, you recommend an upgrade to the latest version of anything, which, if
nothing else, will get the customer out of your hair for a few weeks or
months while he upgrades the software.

> Even with the vendors complete documentation
> and access to the source, you wind up having
> to guess as to what really happened, then provide
> a solution for that guess.

Mainly because the "complete documentation" is sparse or nonexistent.  The
scary thing is that the internal workings of most commercial software (or
indeed most software, period) are known only to the person(s) who wrote it,
since they can't be bothered to write anything down, and vendors will not
force them to write anything down because it doesn't generate revenue.

> You don't care how error 123 is processed,
> you want to know why it occurred. That's a
> different question.

I have to know why it occurred before I can determine whether or not the way
it was processed was appropriate.  Intuitively it seems inappropriate that
an error should stall the system or prevent a reboot, as this one does, but
I cannot be sure unless I know what the error means.

> Since I never detach my usb devices, I don't
> use usbd.

I don't detach my usb devices, either (although I do remove and insert cards
in the CF reader).  Does this mean that I can remove usbd from rc.conf?